Events of recent centuries have left an indelible imprint on today’s world, from divisive revolutions and wars through to life-saving medical breakthroughs and technological advancements. Take your students on a journey that helps them comprehend and appreciate how pivotal events in the past have shaped our present, with the following tours:
Modern History school tours in the USA
In the United States, students have a range of opportunities to learn about America’s eventful history and times of significant change, particularly the American Civil War.
- Stand in the spot that Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his infamous ‘I have a dream’ speech, as you contemplate the significance of this event in African-American history.
- Explore Boston University, the university responsible for awarding the first PhD to a woman in America and Martin Luther King Junior his doctorate.
- Learn about the American War of Independence as you journey through its historical sites on the ‘Freedom Trail’ guided tour.
- Uncover what happened at the Boston Tea Party through re-enactments and multimedia exhibits at the Boston Tea Party Museum.
- Join a Salem native on a guided tour of the Salem Witch Museum, as you’re taken through the story of one of America’s most tragic events.
- Pay your respects to the victims of the 9/11 attacks and hear stories of loss and recovery at the reflecting pools of the 9/11 Memorial & Museum.
- Experience the traditional Amish agricultural lifestyle, which has remained largely unchanged for 200 years, in a tour of Lancaster Amish Village.
- Retrace the significant sites of the Battle of Gettysburg in a full day tour with stops at the Museum Complex and National Military Park
- Visit Antietam National Battlefields, the locations of the bloodiest battle in American history. Come to comprehend the consequences that this event had on the country at the time.
- Journey back in time to a night that changed the course of US history on the Lincoln Assassination Walking Tour.
- Explore America’s rich history in Washington D.C, with visits to Arlington National Cemetery, the National Archives, the Lincoln memorial, the Smithsonian National Museum of American History, Washington Monument, Capital Building and Lafayette Square.
- Visit the National Battlefields in Manassas, where the Union and Confederate armies clashed in the American Civil War.
See our USA Modern History itinerary here.
Modern History school tours in Germany
Introduce students to the economic powerhouse of modern Europe, Germany, where East meets West and poignant reminders of WWII and the Cold War bring learning to life. Discover historic monuments, museums, galleries and even the castle that inspired Walt Disney’s Sleeping Beauty.
- Be inspired by historic innovation and unlimited possibilities for the future at the Deutsches Museum in Munich, the world’s largest museum of Science and Technology in the world. Here, students will investigate the masterpieces of innovation, experiment with interactive displays and witness demonstrations that make the wonders of modern science fun and easy to understand.
- Visit the Nuremburg Nazi party rally grounds and learn how the six rallies that occurred here were propaganda designed to persuade the German people that their country was powerful and well-controlled by the Nazi’s.
- Take a chilling tour of the first Nazi concentration camp, the Dachau Memorial Site and learn of the horrific conditions prisoners of the camp were subjected too.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Dresden, an ancient Slavic settlement that has a long held reputation as a cultural, educational, political and economic centre of Germany and Europe.
- Step into a fairy-tale with a visit to one of Europe’s most recognisable castles, the 19th century Neuschwanstein Castle, which was built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria in the honour of the great composer Richard Wagner. Many rooms in the castle have been inspired by Wagner’s historic opera’s and characters.
See our Modern History in Germany itinerary here.
Modern History school tours in Vietnam
- Visit Long Tan, a former Australian troop task force base and uncover the story of a gruelling battle Australia fought against the Viet Cong in 1966. Be amazed at the bravery and tactical genius of the 100 Australian diggers who held off 2,000 Viet Cong.
- Visit the Viet Cong’s infamous Cu Chi tunnels. During the Vietnam War these tunnels served as supply routes, hiding spots and underground living quarters containing storage bunkers, hospitals and kitchen facilities.
- Visit the iconic Pagoda of the Celestial Lady, a seven-story octagonal tower dating back to 1601. Students will learn of the Manushi-Buddha (a Buddha in human form) that each story of the Pagoda represents, as well as the site’s relevance in Vietnam’s political history.
- Journey back to colonial times in a walking tour of Old Saigon in Ho Chi Minh City. Surrounded by the French architecture of the past, students will discover remnants of war and Vietnamese heritage in the surviving churches, temples and post offices they will stroll past.
See our Vietnam Modern History itinerary here
Whether students are learning about pivotal military events in recent eras or religious sites and their meaning, modern history focused tours captivate students and impart deeper connection with our past.
Explore more of our most popular history focused itineraries here.