The impact an educational tour can impart on a student is immeasurable. Beyond the fun and adventure are incredible educational, social and interpersonal benefits that students can experience from travelling on an educational tour. Director of Curriculum and Academics, Dr Wendy Amato Ph.D shares the top 10 benefits students gain from educational travel…
- Better Academic Performance – On an educational tour, students get to experience different styles of teaching and see a new side to their subject of study. When able to see, touch and smell the very things they have learned about in books, students return to the classroom with a deeper connection and greater motivation for their studies.
- A Global Perspective – Unfamiliarity and separation from home are great incubators for thought. New experiences will question one’s preconceived ideas. The enriching experience of educational travel encourages students to expand their world view, witness a new way of life and better understand people, history and culture.
- Confidence – Living for any amount of time in a culture that’s different from home can help prepare students for the future in ways more profound than any camp or holiday can. Overcoming challenges while travelling help students grow confidence and prepare them for life’s obstacles.
- Grit – Travelling away from the comfort of friends, family and familiar surroundings is tough. But doing it shows that a person is interested enough in the rest of the world, and confident enough to venture out and discover other parts of the world. This is a character trait that’s very appealing to employers.
- Networking – Travel provides students with a global network of contacts and references. Plus, instead of relying on others’ opinions, travellers establish perspective, confidence and conviction that make it easier to gain the respect of others.
- Growth & Independence – While away from home and the ease of a regular support system, students have opportunities to see what they are capable of accomplishing by themselves. Travelling allows students to develop themselves in ways that can’t be achieved without stepping outside of their comfort zone, becoming more mature, independent and self-aware.
- Individuality – Travel provides experiences to define a person’s place and purpose and establishes lifelong values and priorities.
- Career Opportunities – Employers view students that have travelled as well-rounded as they have shown not only a commitment to their education but a confidence to venture out and discover new things as well as their ability to adapt to new situations.
- Appreciation – Getting away from home is also a chance to allow a student to realise what they miss most. Experiencing another place and culture is an opportunity to appreciate what they already have and realise the importance of the little things that often go unnoticed.
- New Friends – Cultural immersion through travels can also help break down language barriers and open new channels of lifelong communication. Exploring a new place opens doors to establish new friendships and relationships that never would have been acquired without travelling.
Learn more about our educational tours here.