What: The YMCA Space Camp Powered by WorldStrides is for students in Years 7-9 who love Space! Over 5 packed days, our campers will be immersed in Space and the Space Industry. We will answer questions like how do we get to Mars? How does Australia contribute to the Global Space Industry? What’s it like to be an astronaut?
When: There are two camps. Camp One will be held from Friday 29th of September – Tuesday 3rd of October and Camp Two will be held from Wednesday 4th of October – Sunday 8th of October. Both camps have an identical program. Be quick though as places are limited to 45 students per camp!
Where: Camps will be held in Canberra with participants staying at the YMCA Bush Capital Lodge in Canberra. Campers will be bussed from their accommodation to sites around Canberra.
Who: The Camps are organised by YMCA Canberra, who have organised camps and children’s activities for over 75 Years in Canberra. Each camp has an experienced camp leader, as well as a team of dedicated volunteers. Our camps are powered by WorldStrides, an educational travel provider, who will get you to and from the Camp! Interstate transport details will be made available to successful applicants.
Why:We love Space! Canberra has some of Australia’s greatest Space attractions. In fact some of the first images of man walking on the moon were beamed from Honey Suckle Creek, a tracking Station in Canberra. It’s an experience not available anywhere else in Australia.
How: To apply, you must meet the registration criteria and submit your answer to the response question no later than 5pm Friday 16 June 2017. Go to the Registration Details page for more information.
Cost: $499 per student, plus transport to Canberra.
- Speaking to an Astronaut
- Tidbinbilla Deep Space Centre to see the giant dishes communicate with craft at the edge of our galaxy
- Mt Stromlo Observatory, where world respected researchers examine our solar system. Students will visit the inside of the massive telescope!
- Learn to analyse and map the earth with Geospatial Intelligence using real time footage.
- GeoScience Australia, where we will learn about their contribution to the Australian Space Industry
- UNSW Canberra, where we will meet real life scientists who have worked on missions across the world, and who will run a hands-on day of activities from building rovers, to completing challenges in a simulated space environment!
- A night under the stars with local Aboriginal business Thunderstone, who will share the centuries old stories about the significant connection indigenous people have to the sky and the stars
- Questacon, to learn some of the Science behind Space, and get hands on in the exhibits after hours!
- Program robots with Erica Hediger and the Creative Element